The final thesis examines the student’s ability to independently process a selected topic from the chosen field of science in the form of a written paper supported by the necessary documentation. They should prove that the student has acquired the necessary range of theoretical knowledge and is able to use it in solving the problem. The defense of the final thesis in the final (state) examination is a condition for successful completion of the study.
How to write final work
Act no. 131/2002 Coll. on Higher Education Institutions and on Amendments and Supplements to Certain Acts, says in § 51 and § 52, that a final thesis is a part of higher education. Its proper elaboration and subsequent defense on the state exam is one of the conditions for the regular completion of university studies.
The final work is:
- bachelor thesis – for study according to the first degree study program (bachelor study program)
- diploma thesis – for study according to the study program of the second level or study program (master’s, master’s and doctoral study program)
- rigorous work – graduates of Master’s degree programs can take a rigorous exam, which includes defense of a rigorous thesis in a field of study in which they have completed a university degree, or in a related field of study. After its completion, the university gives them an academic degree in social science study programs “Doctor of Philosophy” (abbreviated as “PhDr.”)
Given that the current system of higher education is divided into several stages of study, the difficulty of the individual types of work is also different.
Since the bachelor thesis is the final work of the first level of university study, the student is asked to write a lower degree than when writing a diploma thesis.
The diploma thesis is the final work of the second level of university study.
Even higher demands are placed on students working on rigorous work, which are, according to the methodological guidance of the Ministry of Education of the US, classified as qualification works.
As well as the difficulty of each type of final thesis, the university degree obtained is also different. The elaboration and defense of the bachelor thesis is one of the conditions for obtaining the title “bachelor” (Bc.), Diploma thesis “master” (abbreviated as Mgr.) And rigorous thesis “doctor of philosophy” (in brief PhDr.)
Final theses represent a basic task for all students, the fulfillment of which is a prerequisite for the successful completion of all levels of higher education.
It is important for both the student and the supervisor to fully realize what the student is supposed to do by writing the final thesis, what role it faces. It is important for the learner to know what is expected of him in his final work and it is important for the teachers to know what they should ask students to do and what claims they should make when writing and judging the final work.
When creating the final thesis, the student is asked for a demanding but satisfactory task, which is fully realistic considering its possibilities. The purpose of the work is to prove independent creative thinking. The student proves in his final thesis that he has the complex knowledge and skills he has acquired at university. At the same time, it demonstrates its readiness to pursue an occupation, or to study further.
In particular, the student is required to study all available literature on the subject of his or her final thesis, obtain the necessary factual material (statistical), which expresses the phenomena and processes to be examined in the work. The student is supposed to master all this theoretical and factual material, sort it according to certain criteria, which he sets and agrees with the supervisor and then independently submit this material and explain it. Subsequently, the student should clearly, concisely and accurately characterize the object of the research, obtain the necessary data for analysis, select appropriate methods for the evaluation and interpretation of the obtained data.
- The result of the work should be the author’s attitudes or suggestions for solving the identified problems, which he reached during the writing of the final thesis.
- Final thesis
- Elaboration of the final thesis (bachelor, diploma, rigorous, dissertation) is a demanding and long-term process which has the following functions:
- to examine and deepen the scope and quality of knowledge, habits and skills acquired during the study
- contribute to mastering scientific and professional terminology
- develop preparedness for independent and creative activity in the relevant field,
- to contribute to a deeper self-knowledge of their exact thinking skills and the possibilities of intellectual self-realization.
The result of this process is written final (bachelor, diploma, rigorous) work.
Each final work must meet the following general requirements:
- to clearly define and formulate the problem and to work it out creatively according to the chosen goal
- demonstrate the ability to orientate in professional literature and gain an overview of the solved problem, analyze the current state of its solution,
- demonstrate the ability to compare different approaches to the problem
- apply theoretical knowledge to solve a practical problem and formulate the resulting conclusions,
- to improve the methodology of writing and using scientific and professional terminology.